Built for Electra Waggoner, the daughter of one of Fort Worth’s wealthiest cattle baron’s, A.B. Wharton paid $46,000 for the construction of his 11,000 Square foot home.
In 1901, Electra had met Albert Buckman Wharton, a prominent Philadelphian, while touring the Himalayas. They were married in 1902 at her family home in Decatur, Texas-El Castile.
Completed in 1904, Thistle Hill graced the crest of Summit Avenue in the fashionable residential district known as Quality Hill and quickly gained a reputation for opulence and lavish entertainment.
Albert owned and managed the first Fort Worth Auto and Livery Stable and dealt in Winston and Franklin cars.
Thistle Hill was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Winfield Scott in 1911, longtime acquaintances of Electra's parents. Mr. Scott, a successful cattleman and prominent Ft. Worth businessman, embarked on an extensive remodeling of the mansion, converting it from Colonial to Georgian Revival.
Sadly, Mr. Scott died in 1911 and Elizabeth Scott and their son, Winfield Jr. moved into the mansion in 1912. During her 26 year residency, Elizabeth expanded the gardens and added a tea house and pergola to the grounds. She was known as an elegant hostess and her dinner parties were very formal affairs.
After his mother's death in 1938, Winfield, Jr. sold the mansion to the Girls Service League. The League, founded in 1917, is still in operation today and is dedicated to the assistance of young women. In 1968, the League put the mansion up for sale.
In 1974, after watching many of the mansions on Quality Hill abolished to make room for " progress", a group of concerned citizens formed a committee called "Save the Scott Home" and embarked on an all-out fund raising project. After several failed attempts, they finally succeeded in purchasing Thistle Hill in 1976 for $240,000.
Historic Fort Worth was gifted the property in January of 2005, and continues to oversee its restoration while at the same time, sharing its original beauty and grandeur with the community.