The Garvey-Viehl-Kelley House
Address: 769 Samuels Avenue
Date Built: 1884-1890
This Queen Anne residence has asymmetrical massing, a wraparound porch, dormers and a bell-shaped turret, all of which typify the Victorian period. It rests above the Trinity River on a large lot on what was once Fort Worth’s most prestigious street, Samuels Avenue. It was built in stages for grocery store owner and real estate dealer William B. Garvey and his wife Lucy (Lula), the granddaughter of Baldwin L. Samuel, the street’s namesake. The house was sold to merchant Robert C. Veihl and his wife Lena in 1918, and then to the G.S. Kelleys in 1972.
Designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1993 and a City of Fort Worth Landmark in 1994, the house has fallen on hard time. It is for sale and would make a great bed and breakfast, corporate retreat location or wedding venue. Residential prices are high on Samuels Avenue because the neighborhood is now being marketed as “lake front property” due to plans to turn the Trinity River into a lake.
Fort Worth Community Arts Center, including Scott Theater
Address: 1300 Gendy Street
Date Built: 1954
The original Fort Worth Art Center building was designed by Herbert Bayer, an Austrian graphic designer who was affectionately known as the “curator of aesthetics.” As an architect and landscape designer, Mr. Bayer is known best for his buildings and landscapes in Aspen, Colorado, a place he shaped for over thirty years.
The original Fort Worth Art Center evolved from the Fort Worth Art Association that formed in 1938. Prior to becoming the first location for the Modern Art Museum, the Center was both a museum and an art school with administrative offices on the second floor. Expansions to the building were designed by O’Neil Ford and Associates, one of the nation’s leading architecture firms of the American Southwest.
This city-owned building known today as the Fort Worth Community Arts Center is managed by the Arts Council of Fort Worth, and is the headquarters of several art-affiliated groups. The onset of paid parking has threatened the business plans of the arts groups that count on the public for support; which in turn, puts the business plan of the building at risk.
Ben Hogan's Childhood Home
Address: 1316 East Allen Avenue
Date Built: 1927
Born in 1912, Ben Hogan was nine when his father, a blacksmith, died. To help his mother who was a seamstress, young Ben Hogan became a golf caddy. He was granted the only junior membership at Glen Garden, and was so good at the game of golf that he dropped out of Central High School his senior year to become a golf pro. He also played at Katy Lake, Worth Hills and Z-Boaz golf courses.
Although he died in 1997, today Ben Hogan is one of only five golfers who have won all four major championships, the U.S. Open (3 times), the Masters (2 times), the British Open and the PGA Championship (2 times). The others are Gene Sarazen, Gary Player, Jack Nichlaus and Tiger Woods with that distinction.
Ben Hogan’s humble, double-gabled childhood home has been vacant for years and fallen on hard times that aren’t getting any better. We understand that the owners would like to see the house restored. Its primary significance is cultural, due to Ben Hogan’s national golfing stature.
Old Renfro's Drug Store
Address: 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue/ 526-528 Henderson Street
Date Built: 1929
This one story, commercial building which is eligible for the National Register, has a cast-stone frieze and parapet that incorporates both a fine Gothic Revival triforium and an Art Deco zigzag band. The curving façade takes advantage of the intersection of two major streets. If the hospital that owns this building needs more square footage at this location, it should work to incorporate the building’s façade into its plan, as was done in New York in conjunction with the Villard House. http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID010.htm
Address: Roughly between Bellaire Drive West & Hulen Street
Date Built: c. 1950-1960
In 1954, the Cass Overton Edwards family established the Cassco Land Company to sell some of their ranch land for the development known today as Tanglewood. By 1957, most of the land was sold with the stipulation that all houses must be either brick or stone, and have at the minimum a two-car attached garage. The houses were designed in a variety of styles, but because of the timing of the development, the Tanglewood housing stock included numerous ranch-styled houses and some mid-century modern ones that are particularly popular with the younger homebuyers.
Driven by excellent schools and a great location, Tanglewood’s architectural integrity is eroding. Oversized additions to existing houses and teardowns are occurring with greater frequency. At times the landscaping of the original houses are cast into the shadows of an oversized neighboring house. If this dynamic continues, at some point the the orginal houses will look out of place, which can effect their property values.